Role: Android Developer
Our first product is a mobile-first platform called Mind Settlers, the Agility Scales adventure app that helps people develop agile mindsets by supporting them as they innovate, building new habits and skills. The platform’s key components are content, community, data and gamification/behavior nudges.
Learn more about it here.
What is the challenge?
We are looking for an engineer with deep Android experience and broad knowledge of related areas (Mobile UX, API design, platform architecture). You will be building out a mobile-first platform in a fast-paced startup team.
- Rapid development of a MVP that has to prove market fit
- Architect the app in a way that makes it easy to apply significant UI changes without having to discard a lot of previous work
- Be involved in determining the best way to extend/build the app for iOS
- Working within FaaS/BaaS vendors limitations
Things to be done
- Work closely with product, UI/UX, and back-end colleagues to design, build and extend Platform capabilities and achieve clear product-market fit
- Take part in all phases of App lifecycle – from ideas to development, test automation, operations monitoring
- Own and drive improvements on app architecture
- Review each other’s code, sharing knowledge, and generally help out other colleagues across different functions.
We expect from you
- Self-motivated and an excellent communicator
- Ability to work remotely in a distributed international team
- Team player, able to work collaboratively
- Strong knowledge of Android fundamentals (minimum two years of experience)
- Make a smooth and high performing product using serverless architecture
- Experience with Kotlin, Firebase Firestore, RxJava, Arch Components is a big plus
- Experience with Mobile test automation is a big plus
- Experience with Cloud Functions is a plus
- Experience with building CI/CD pipelines is a big plus
- Excellent English communication skills (our company language)
Agility Scales was founded in March 2017 by serial founder, successful entrepreneur, author and speaker Jurgen Appelo. Our motivated, close-knit team is based in 7 countries and are fully remote.
Our mission is to help people, organizations and companies become “shape-shifters.” (Read more here.) We help businesses innovate and adapt – by developing true agility in teams and people. Instead of pushing yet another ‘top down’ change management program or methodology that’s doomed to fail, our efforts support ‘bottom up’ transformation, starting with individuals and their mindsets.
We are completely remote. Work from anywhere you want. Being responsible, you have the freedom and flexibility to shape your work day and find work-life integration.
Want to take a break? No problem, let your team know, stay healthy and spend your time with friends and family.
Paid company retreat
Every quarter we have a face-2-face meeting in a city chosen by our team, so grab your passport and be ready to travel for 2-4 days. We will discuss strategy, product and have team building exercises. (We’ve met up most recently in Lisbon, London, Barcelona and Amsterdam.)
Flat organizational structure
We’re based in Management 3.0 practices, with more responsibility, autonomy and happiness in work-life than you’ll find in most organizations.
Joining Agility Scales lets you convert any amount of your compensation in company shares, and you are free to change its percentage month by month.
Our compensation and financials are transparent and available to everyone on the team, no shady politics.
We don’t put a salary number against any role, as we recognize that every individual will bring different skills, experience and goals to Agility Scales. They may be able to contribute value beyond the described role or any set number. Instead, we follow a creative process where the person we’d like on our team puts forward a simple compensation proposal to the team for review and acceptance. So far, it’s worked very well!